If you are a homeowner in Ottawa who wants to make your home more energy-efficient and comfortable, you may be interested in the Canada Greener Homes Grant. This is a federal initiative that provides grants of up to $10,600 and interest-free loans of up to $40,000 for eligible retrofits and home evaluations. In this blog post, we will explain what products qualify for the grant and how you can apply.
The Canada Greener Homes Grant aims to help Canadians lower their energy bills and reduce their carbon footprint by improving the energy performance of their homes. The grant is retroactive to December 1, 2020 and co-delivered by Natural Resources Canada and Enbridge Gas in Ontario . The grant covers up to 700,000 homeowners across the country.
To qualify for the grant, you need to have an EnerGuide home energy evaluation before and after your retrofits. This evaluation is performed by a registered energy advisor who will assess your home’s current energy use and recommend the best upgrades for your situation. You can receive up to $600 to cover the cost of the evaluations if you complete at least one eligible retrofit.
The eligible retrofits include:
- Home insulation: You can improve the insulation of your attic, ceiling, exterior walls, exposed floors, basement, foundation or crawlspace. The grant amount depends on the type and area of insulation, as well as the insulation’s resistance to heat flow (R-value or RSI value) .
- Windows and doors: You can replace your old windows and doors with new ones that are more energy-efficient. The grant amount depends on the number and type of windows and doors, as well as their energy performance rating (ER or U-value).
- Heat pumps: You can install an air source heat pump or a ground source heat pump to provide heating and cooling for your home. The grant amount depends on the type and model of heat pump, as well as its seasonal performance factor (HSPF or COP).
- Renewable energy systems: You can install a solar photovoltaic system to generate electricity from sunlight. The grant amount depends on the size and capacity of the system (kW).
- Resiliency measures: You can also take measures to protect your home from water damage or power outages caused by extreme weather events. These include installing a roofing membrane, a foundation water-proofing system, a moisture-proofing system for your crawlspace, or a solar PV-connected home battery.
To apply for the grant, you need to register online at Natural Resources Canada’s website . You will need to provide proof of ownership and occupancy of your property, as well as your property tax information. You will also need to book an appointment with a registered energy advisor in your area. After your initial evaluation, you can proceed with your retrofits and keep your receipts. Once your upgrades are done, you need to book a final evaluation and submit your documents online. You will receive your grant payment by direct deposit typically within 2 to 6 months.
The Canada Greener Homes Grant is a great opportunity for Ottawa homeowners to make their homes more comfortable, save money on energy bills, and contribute to a greener economy. If you are interested in applying for the grant or learning more about it, visit Natural Resources Canada’s website or contact us at AirZone HVAC Services.